This salad has a great balance of crisp, refreshing lettuce, and spicy, savory buffalo chickpeas. This recipe puts a fun twist on the classic buffalo chicken salad!
You have the option of using canned chickpeas or dried chickpeas, we typically use dried unless it’s a last minute recipe and we’re in a rush. If you choose to use dried chickpeas you’ll need to prepare ahead of time. We simmer ours on the stovetop for about three hours to soften them. It takes a bit longer to make your chickpeas this way, but in my opinion, it’s worth it!
- Lettuce of your choice (I used romaine and baby arugula)
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 Tbsp buffalo sauce
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing
- If you are using dried chickpeas in your recipe, prepare according to package instructions (I usually rinse, then simmer for about 3 hours). If you are using canned chickpeas, rinse well in cold water
- Chop your lettuce and soak in cold water while you prepare the rest of the meal (this will make the lettuce extra crisp-thanks for the tip, Mom!)
- Add chickpeas and buffalo sauce to sauté pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. They should cook approximately 5 minutes
- Wash and chop your celery
- Dice your avocado
- Drain/spin your lettuce and add to large serving bowl
- Add in your celery, avocado, buffalo chickpeas, crumbled blue cheese, and dressing of choice into the serving bowl
- Toss well and enjoy!